February 18, 2026

Nagdhunga–Sisnekhola Tunnel Opening Delayed Pending Service Operator Selection

The nearly completed Nagdhunga–Sisnekhola tunnel road remains closed as authorities continue the process of selecting a service provider to operate and maintain the facility. Although construction has reached 98 percent completion, officials say the tunnel will open only after the operator is finalised.
According to the Nagdhunga Tunnel Construction Project, ten companies are currently undergoing technical evaluation. Director Saujanya Nepal said the assessment is expected to conclude within a week, after which shortlisted, firms will be publicly notified for 15 days before financial proposals are opened. The selected company is likely to be finalized by the last week of March.
The operator will manage the tunnel for five years, overseeing maintenance, traffic control, toll collection, emergency rescue and upkeep of the 2.8-kilometre access roads linking Kathmandu and Dhading. The tunnel must operate round-the-clock, with toll revenue deposited daily into the Road Board Nepal account.
Construction of the 2,688-metre main tunnel and 2,557-metre emergency tunnel began in October 2019 and is being carried out by Hazama Ando Corporation. The project is funded largely through concessional loans from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
Officials said additional funding of around Rs5.5 billion has been requested from JICA for landslide management and related works. Once the operator is appointed and staff training completed, the tunnel will begin test operations before opening to the public.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *